Sunday, August 28, 2005

August 27th, Oahu, Hawaii, United States

Was it not for several independent recommendations from friends I would have dismissed the Polynesian Cultural Center as just another way to separate the gullible tourist from their money. But it was my last day on the islands and I decided to abandon my search for the perfect beach with the perfect palm tree and do something different. I'm glad I did. The performances at the villages into which the center is divided are both entertaining and informational but it's the friendly and knowledgeable staff native to the islands they're representing that steal the show. I spent as much time talking to them about their life and their islands as I did shooting.

I timed my drive back to the airport to take in one last sunset on the beach. As I sat on Sunset Beach watching the red disc of the sun disappear behind the calm waves of the Pacific I thought about the fun I had and promised myself to come back. Mahalo Hawaii!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home